In the late 1800’s a group of German speaking Catholics, members of St. Joseph Catholic Church in downtown San Antonio, petitoned the bishop for a school located in their own neighborhood. Hence, in 1893 St. Henry’s Academy was founded under the guidance of Rev. Henry Pefferkorn, pastor of St. Joseph Catholic Church. In 1904 the German speaking community of St. Joseph’s needed to expand and St. Henry Catholic Church was established with Rev. Henry M. Wirtz as it’s first pastor.
Many years have passed and the dynamic and culture of St. Henry Catholic Church has changed and grown; but there are some aspects that remain, that is, the faith and devotion of it’s loyal parishioners. Numbering approximately 800 families St. Henry Catholic Church continues to help lead others to Christ by serving one another in charity and love.